Cardboard Computer's Patreon is a creator page on the Patreon platform which allows individuals, for a monthly fee of $1 or greater, to more closely follow the work of Cardboard Computer and the development of Kentucky Route Zero. Cardboard Computer started their Patreon on September 7, 2018; in the introduction post, they state their goal of "[finding] a more open and community-engaged development process, while keeping the mysteries alive."
Patron-only posts contain a variety of content, such as spoiler-free development and video streams, articles about process and influences, draft artwork and assets, along with other content such as "one-off short stories, formal experiments, and nano-vignettes." Patrons at the $5+ tier gain access to a development Discord server among other rewards, such as occasional items in the mail.
Cardboard Computer's Patreon page is located at https://www.patreon.com/cardboardcomputer.
List of posts
- Why Patreon? – September 7
- An introduction post providing background on the creation of the Patreon.
- Wow, what a first day -- thank you! – September 8
- A thank you post, also providing more details about Patreon rewards.
- The Evening Broadcast – September 13
- An in-depth, inside look of the creation of Un Pueblo De Nada.
- Mammoth Metal Foley – September 24
- Here's the poster for Act V! – October 3
- First postcards ordered – October 5
- Information about mail rewards.
- WEVP.TV – October 8
- The second post about Un Pueblo De Nada, focusing on the videos on the WEVP-TV website.
- Community Assemblage #1 – October 19
- A post highlighting supporters' personal projects and work, including games, art, music, and writing from the Discord server.
- KRZ t-shirts & pin now available to order – October 31
- KRZ Newsletter Archive – November 3
- Some Musical Inspiration for the KRZ OST- Pt. 1 – November 17
- VGA Gallery print of Act V poster is available now – November 21
- A note that the VGA Gallery is now selling prints of the Act V poster.
- Dev Stream Timing Poll – November 27
- A poll requesting patrons to pick a preferred time for an upcoming development stream of Tamas working on character animations in Blender.
- Second postcard order soon! – November 28
- A note about plans to create a second postcard that will be sent out in mid-December, with pledge amounts locked in on December 4.
- Dev stream tomorrow - Sat Dec 1st at 1pm CT – November 30
- Announcement about the first dev stream.
- Happy new year! – January 6
- An update about Jake, Tamas, and Ben currently teaching classes part-time for a few months at Milan's IULM University, and a note that 2019 will be a big year for them in finishing up KRZ and beginning their next project.
- Thoughts On Game Writing Tools, Part 1 – January 20
- The first of four posts by Jake on game writing tools, this installation focusing on why to use such a tool.
- Prehistory of Kentucky Route Zero dialog – January 23
- The second post in the series by Jake, focusing on code and XML dialogue structure in games prior to KRZ.
- The KRZ dialog format(s) – January 27
- The third post in the series by Jake, focusing on the invented "krzdialog" format and Twine's Twee format. This post also links to an early version of the game's opening scene.
- Pitfalls of KRZ dialog / Thoughts on other tools' – February 4
- The fourth and final post in the series by Jake, focusing on perceived problems in the KRZ dialog system and more information on other tools.